Migrating to SAP S/4HANA: Considerations for Your VAT Solution
If you are implementing or migrating to SAP S/4HANA: are you ready for the future?
The move to SAP S/4HANA is the perfect opportunity for the tax function to finally regain control and transform the indirect tax operations by implementing a tax automation engine. In order to gain the full benefits of SAP S/4HANA, change is required for your set-up and for the way you used SAP before.
Does your VAT solution still fit, or does it need to be rebuilt? If you rebuild, do you have your original team of SAP specialists or will you need to explain the rules again?
Why can't VAT be handled in SAP?
There are key reasons why value added tax cannot be handled properly in SAP alone:
- Generic VAT solutions within SAP are not sustainable
- SAP does not have one standard solution to serve all possible permutations
- Each customer’s SAP system, set-up, and business scenarios are unique
- No generic third-party VAT solution within SAP can be sustained for multiple customers
- Each customer has a unique version of the VAT solution, so maintenance and coding are complex
What are the considerations when moving to SAP S/4HANA?
You may start to uncover extra steps and costs that were not apparent at the beginning. Here are some hidden costs and things to consider in addition to the SAP implementation costs:
- VAT determination when using multiple financial platforms such as SAP Ariba, Coupa, e-commerce systems, SAP Concur, etc. – given that each will have its own VAT logic
- Acquiring multiple ERPs from M & A – these systems will have their own VAT logic
- Building VAT solutions in each system increases risk of non-compliance
- Maintaining each system can be time consuming, resource intensive, and expensive
What if you are still using SAP ECC?
You can leverage Vertex to improve VAT determination today and streamline your migration to SAP S/4HANA in the future.
- Vertex has enabled the SAP API connection between SAP ECC and the SAP localisation hub
- You can get the benefits of a Vertex tax engine by connecting your SAP system using a trustworthy connector
- There is no need to redesign your VAT processes when you migrate as the work will have been already done upfront
Why You Need the Vertex Tax Engine
The Vertex tax engine connects to almost any platform that generates a VAT relevant transaction. It connects multiple ERPs and financial systems for consistency in VAT determination across your business.
Benefits of the Vertex Tax Engine
- Improved accuracy of VAT/GST determination
- Up to date tax content
- Reduced IT support needs
- Improved tax department efficiency
- Improved audit performance
- Improved scalability
With Vertex, you can confidently manage the complexity of VAT across Europe and overall compliance as your business grows and jurisdiction requirements change, enabling you to be ready for the future.