In the United States, taxes on beer differ significantly depending on the state where you purchase it.
According to a Kiplinger article, " Tennessee's top rate of $1.29 per gallon is more than 64 times higher than in Wyoming."
Here is the top 10 list of states with the lowest beer taxes based on off-premise sales on 4.7% by volume beer in 12-ounce containers. Local excise taxes are excluded.
- Wyoming - the lowest in the country at $0.02 per gallon
- Missouri - $0.06 per gallon
- Wisconsin - $0.06 per gallon
- Colorado - $0.08 per gallon
- Oregon - $0.08 per gallon
- Pennsylvania - $0.08 per gallon
- Rhode Island - $0.10 per gallon
- Massachusetts - $0.11 per gallon
- Indiana - $0.12 per gallon
- New Jersey - $0.12 per gallon
Having a hard time "swallowing" this information? Breathe easy with Vertex Inc.
Vertex Inc. offers a cloud-based sales and use tax automation solution that is designed to save time, effort, and risk associated with calculation, return, remittance, and compliance for small to medium-sized businesses.