King of Prussia, PA
Vertex, Inc. (Nasdaq: VERX) (“Vertex” or the “Company”), a global provider of tax technology solutions, today announced financial results for its fourth quarter and full-year ended December 31, 2020.
“Our strong fourth quarter financial results underscore the value we are delivering to our customers and partners around the world,” said David DeStefano, Chief Executive Officer. “The investments we made throughout the year to scale our team, acquire world-class talent, and expand our global capabilities further position us to capture the significant market opportunities ahead.”
Fourth Quarter 2020 Financial Results
Total revenues of $99.5 million, up 15.7% year-over-year.
Software subscription revenues of $83.9 million, up 15.1% year-over-year.
Annual Recurring Revenue of $316.4 million, up 13.6% year-over-year.
Operating income of $2.5 million, compared to $4.1 million for the same period prior year. Non-GAAP operating income of $16.1 million, compared to $14.7 million for the same period prior year.
Net income of $0.2 million, compared to $4.7 million for the same period prior year. Non-GAAP net income of $12.3 million, compared to $14.2 million for the same period prior year.
Net income per basic and diluted Class A and Class B share was $0.00, compared to $0.04 for the same period prior year.
Non-GAAP diluted EPS was $0.08, compared to $0.11 for the same period prior year.
Adjusted EBITDA of $19.1 million, up 11.2% year-over-year. Adjusted EBITDA margin of 19.1%, compared to 19.9% for the same period prior year.
Cash provided by operating activities of $39.5 million, compared to $46.7 million for the same period prior year. Free cash flow of $30.9 million, compared to $34.8 million for the same period prior year.
Full-Year 2020 Financial Results
- Total revenues of $374.7 million, up 16.5% year-over-year.
- Software subscription revenues of $316.8 million, up 14.9% year-over-year.
- Annual Recurring Revenue of $316.4 million, up 13.6% year-over-year.
- Operating loss of $(104.8) million, compared to operating income of $31.9 million for the prior year. Non-GAAP operating income of $67.4 million, compared to $58.9 million for the prior year.
- Net loss of $(78.9) million, compared to net income of $31.1 million for the prior year. Non-GAAP net income of $47.9 million, compared to $56.8 million for the prior year.
- Net loss per basic and diluted Class A and Class B share was $(0.60), compared to net income per basic and diluted Class A share of $0.20 and $0.25, respectively, and net income per basic and diluted Class B share of $0.26 and $0.25, respectively, for the prior year.
- Non-GAAP diluted EPS was $0.35, compared to $0.46 for the prior year.
- Adjusted EBITDA of $78.4 million, up 15.4% year-over-year. Adjusted EBITDA margin of 20.9%, compared to 21.1% for the prior year.
- Cash provided by operating activities of $59.5 million, compared to $92.5 million for the prior year. Free cash flow of $49.6 million, compared to $54.9 million for the prior year.
“We saw strong demand for our software and services from new and existing customers in the fourth quarter, as evidenced by our growth in total revenues, software subscription revenues and annual recurring revenues in both the fourth quarter and fiscal year as compared to 2019,” notes John Schwab, Chief Financial Officer. “The durability of our business model and operating discipline enabled accelerated investment in our technologies and go-to-market capacity while driving profitable growth.”
Definitions of certain key business metrics and the non-GAAP financial measures used in this press release and reconciliations of such measures to their nearest GAAP equivalents are included below under the headings “Definitions of Certain Key Business Metrics” and “Use and Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
Recent Business Highlights
- Key Metrics: Ended 2020 with Annual Recurring Revenue per customer of over $78,000, compared to over $65,000 in prior year. Software subscription revenues from cloud-based subscriptions grew to 27.5% of total revenues in 2020, compared to 19.1% in prior year. Net Revenue Retention Rate was 106% in the fourth quarter of 2020 and has averaged 108% over the last four quarters.
- Announced the availability of Vertex Indirect Tax Chain Flow Accelerator, an intelligent data visualization and mapping tool that streamlines the management of complex VAT scenarios associated with cross-border supply chain transactions.
- Acquired edge-computing startup, Tellutax, on January 25, 2021, enabling the next generation of tax technology solutions to be delivered seamlessly at the point of need with increased scalability and simplified management.
- Announced the hiring of Sal Visca as Chief Technology Officer, an executive who is a recognized innovator and leader of global technology teams in e-commerce, business intelligence and enterprise management software.
For the first quarter of 2021, the Company currently expects:
- Revenues of $94.5 million to $96.5 million, representing growth of 5.9% to 8.1%.
- Adjusted EBITDA of $15.5 million to $17.5 million, representing an increase of $0.2 million to $2.2 million.
For the full-year 2021, the Company currently expects:
- Revenues of $401 million to $405 million, representing growth of 7.0% to 8.1%.
- Adjusted EBITDA of $68 million to $72 million, representing a decrease of $6.4 million to $10.4 million. 2021 Adjusted EBITDA anticipates $2 million in increased operating expenses related to the acquisition of Tellutax in January 2021.
Certain non-GAAP financial measures included in our financial outlook were not reconciled to the comparable GAAP financial measures because the GAAP financial measures are not accessible on a forward-looking basis. The Company is unable to reconcile these forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures without unreasonable efforts because the Company is currently unable to predict with a reasonable degree of certainty the type and extent of certain items that would be expected to impact GAAP financial measures for these periods but would not impact the non-GAAP financial measures. Such items may include stock-based compensation charges, depreciation and amortization of capitalized software costs and acquired intangible assets, severance, and other items. The unavailable information could have a significant impact on the Company’s GAAP financial results. The foregoing forward-looking statements reflect the Company’s expectations as of today's date. Given the number of risk factors, uncertainties and assumptions discussed below, actual results may differ materially. The Company does not intend to update its financial outlook until its next quarterly results announcement.
Important disclosures in this earnings release about and reconciliations of historical and forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures to the nearest corresponding GAAP equivalents are provided below under “Use and Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
Conference Call and Webcast Information
Vertex will host a conference call to discuss the fourth quarter and full-year 2020 financial results on March 10, 2021 at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”). The conference call can be accessed live over the phone by dialing 1-877-407-4018, or for international callers 1-201-689-8471. A replay will be available from 11:30 a.m. ET on March 10, 2021, through March 24, 2021, by dialing 1-844-512-2921, or for international callers 1-412-317-6671. The replay passcode will be 13715702.
The call will also be webcast live from Vertex’s investor relations website at https://ir.vertexinc.com. Following the completion of the call, a recorded replay of the webcast will be available on the website.
Vertex, Inc. is a leading global provider of indirect tax software and solutions. The company’s mission is to deliver the most trusted tax technology enabling global businesses to transact, comply and grow with confidence. Vertex provides cloud-based and on-premise solutions that can be tailored to specific industries for major lines of indirect tax, including sales and consumer use, value added and payroll. Headquartered in North America, and with offices in South America and Europe, Vertex employs over 1,200 professionals and serves companies across the globe.
For more information, follow Vertex on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Copyright © 2020 Vertex, Inc. All rights reserved. The information contained in this press release is intended for information purposes only, may change at any time in the future, and is not legal or tax advice.
# # #
Forward Looking Statements
Any statements made in this press release that are not statements of historical fact, including statements about our beliefs and expectations, are forward-looking statements and should be evaluated as such. Forward-looking statements include information concerning possible or assumed future results of operations, including descriptions of our business plan and strategies. Forward-looking statements are based on Vertex management’s beliefs, as well as assumptions made by, and information currently available to, them. Because such statements are based on expectations as to future financial and operating results and are not statements of fact, actual results may differ materially from those projected. Factors which may cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations include, but are not limited to: potential effects on our business of the COVID-19 pandemic; our ability to attract new customers on a cost-effective basis and the extent to which existing customers renew and upgrade their subscriptions; our ability to sustain and expand revenues, maintain profitability, and to effectively manage our anticipated growth; our ability to identify acquisition targets and to successfully integrate and operate acquired businesses; our ability to maintain and expand our strategic relationships with third parties; and the other factors described under the heading “Risk Factors” in the Company’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2020 and the Company’s subsequent filings with the Securities Exchange Commission (“SEC”). Copies of each filing may be obtained from the Company or the SEC. All forward-looking statements reflect our beliefs and assumptions only as of the date of this press release. We undertake no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect future events or circumstances.
Director, Corporate Communications
Investor Relations Contact
Ankit Hira or Ed Yuen
Solebury Trout for Vertex, Inc.
Get the latest tax & technology insights from Vertex.
Featured Insights & Resources
Vertex Indirect Tax Intelligence
2023 Sales Tax Trends: Three Policymaking Focal Points
Don’t Stay in Your Lane! Combining Tax/IT in Your RISE with SAP Plan
Scalability and Flexibility: How Albertsons Meets (and Exceeds) Evolving Customer Expectations
About Our Company
Learn more about how we've connected great people and partners to deliver trusted tax solutions for decades.LEARN MORE