This course provides instruction for using Vertex O Series to calculate Consumer Use Tax in North America.
You must be an employee of/or consultant to, a currently licensed Vertex customer or Vertex partner and have:
- Working knowledge of Sales and Use tax concepts
- Working knowledge of your company's (or the Vertex-licensed client company's) tax reporting requirements
- PC experience and navigational familiarity with various MS Windows Operating Systems (XP, 7 and/or Windows Server)
- Experience using an Internet Browser (i.e., preferably IE or Chrome)
Prerequisite: Before taking this course, you must take the Vertex Indirect Tax O Series – North American Sales Tax course.
This course provides instruction for using Vertex O Series to calculate Consumer Use Tax in North America. An instructor-led classroom training and group discussion, including hands-on exercises which focus on Vertex O Series components, how they work with your financial system, and with each other. Upon completion of this course you will know how to set up Vertex O Series so tax is calculated correctly in the Procurement Business Event.
Note: Prerequisite course is Vertex Indirect Tax O Series - North America Sales Tax, instructed during the 2 days that immediately precede this one-day Consumer Use Tax course.
This course is also available online.
- O Series components and resources
- Transaction Processing - Procurement financial events
- Taxability Management Planning Documents
- Vertex Central user interface
- My Enterprise, Tax Setup, Tools, Reporting & System menus
- Tax Area ID Lookup, Rate Lookup, Transaction Tester
- Taxpayer organizational structure and registrations
- Vendors, Taxability Drivers, Commodity Codes, Certificates (non-ECM)
- Taxability Categories, Taxability Analysis, Taxability Mapping
- Vertex and user-defined Tax Rules
- Flexible Fields, Tax Assist Rules, Lookup Tables, Allocation Tables
- Data Management tasks
- Standard Reports, Data Extract Reports (templates)
- System - Roles, Partitions, Users, System Preferences, Activity logs, Log files, About file
- Accessing Online Help
What You’ll Learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- List and explain the components of Vertex O Series
- Navigate the Vertex Central user interface
- Optimize an O Series tax data configuration by realizing the value of taxability management planning documents
- Utilize the Tools menu to look up Tax Area IDs, and standard rates
- Conduct Transaction Testing to verify and troubleshoot tax data system configurations set up in My Enterprise and Tax Setup
- Define your organizational structure and registration requirements in My Enterprise
- Create Vendors, Taxability Drivers, and Exemption Certificates (non-ECM) in My Enterprise
- Use My Enterprise and Tax Setup to define and maintain your company's taxability exceptions for Vendors, Taxability Drivers and Jurisdictions in the Procurement business event
- Utilize advanced functionality in Tax Setup to create Tax Assist Rules, Flexible Fields, Lookup Tables, and Allocation Tables
- Explain and execute Data Management functionality to perform various data management jobs
- Generate and interpret Standard Reports and Data Extract Reports (templates) in the Reporting menu
- Set up and maintain System Security related roles, accesses and login information
- Discuss and execute user interface Administration activities